There are many reasons why you should become a professional speaker. Lucrative fees, prestige, and an excellent addition to your brand are tops on most people’s list. However, if you are serious about becoming a professional speaker, it is important to take a good look at both the pros and cons of the profession.
- Flexibility in schedule
- Opportunity to travel
- The sky is the limit for salary!
- Chance to meet many varied and interesting people
- Excellent way to promote your business
- Lots of opportunity for “back of the room” product promotion
- You are your own boss
- You can make a difference in people’s lives
- Great self-confidence booster
- The challenge will keep your brain fresh and alive
- Recognition as an expert in your field
- You may even achieve fame
Sound good? Great. However, slow down for a moment. Let’s also take a good, hard look at the cons of a speaking career. You don’t want to begin a career in speaking only to discover you hate some of the downsides of it.
- Necessity to spend a lot of time away from home
- Responsible for own marketing
- Your success is up to you
- Must learn—and continue to hone— speaking skills
- Need to have interesting and timely things to say
- Must keep your product—your speeches—current
- No stable income at first
As you can see, some of the best things about being a speaker, such as being your own boss, are also the worst things, such as being your own boss and being responsible for your own success. However, this independence and challenge is what most speakers thrive on. The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in the field of professional speaking!
If all of the pros appeal to you but you aren’t sure you have the skill set necessary to become a polished public speaker, don’t worry. Very few people set out initially to carve out a career in professional speaking. Many speakers get into through other means—such as promoting their business or talking about their passions—and discover they have a true love for it. Over the years, they have learned tips and techniques to become stellar speakers. And you, too, can take advantage of these tips and techniques and learn how to shine as a professional speaker yourself. There are many organizations and books available to help you learn the ropes.
Let’s get started with your speaking career. Click here and I’ll show you 3 Surefire Tips To Better your Speaking in 2018.