Story telling is a very effective way to get your point across. Here are some tips to help you develop a dynamic powerful story.
• Decide on the purpose for the story. What is the main point you want to make? Slant the telling of the story so that that point is clear.
• Create the backdrop. Describe the scene so that the audience can picture it in their minds. What is the time, location, weather? What is going on emotionally, physically, or spiritually?
• Introduce the main characters. Help your audience to picture the important characters through detailed descriptions. Become them; describe their relationships, quirks and personality. Add character voices or mannerisms to make them different from your own.
• Begin the Journey. What is the task, the goal, and the journey to take? What are the challenges that need to be faced?
• Meet the obstacle. To avoid boredom something must happen to get in your way and make it interesting. This could be a person, a self limiting belief, or a challenge to overcome. Exaggeration will add humour.
• Overcome the obstacles. What had to be done to overcome the obstacle? What inner resources did you have to summon? Did someone help you? A hero? Or you? Be specific. Break your solution down into a few steps in sequence. This is where the teaching happens.
• Resolve the story. How did everything turn out? Tie up the loose ends-what happened to the other people? To your hero?
• Make the point. A story needs one clear point to have more points confuses the issue. Write out and memorize the point, work on the words to make it simple and easy to remember. Find “the phrase that pays”.
• Ask the question. Make your story personal to the audience. “Has that ever happened to you?” Turn the main point into a question. Push their buttons!
• Practice, practice, practice. Tell your stories to anyone who is willing to listen. Get feedback, make adjustments, and tell it again. These steps will ignite the WOW in your audience.
Remember the best story you will ever tell is your next story! Want to find out the Secrets every Speaker should know. Grab your free guide here
In this FREE guide you will get the inside scoop on what every speaker should know according to Speaker Coach Sharlrita. Enjoy